SEPTEMBER 25, 2014
WASHINGTON, D.C. – To protect the safety of consumers, especially young children, tweens, and teenagers, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission voted to approve a new national safety standard for high-powered magnet sets.
High-powered magnet sets are hazardous to young children, who have mouthed and ingested these magnets. The magnets also pose a serious risk to teens and tweens, who have used them to create mock lip, tongue, and nose piercings.
Hazardous magnet sets include, on average, approximately 200 magnets, although some sets have up to 1,700 magnets. If multiple magnets are ingested, the magnets attract each other, pinching or trapping intestines or other digestive tissue between them. The result can be a serious injury that requires surgery and can lead to lifelong health consequences or death. High-powered magnet sets were found to be responsible for the death of a 19-month-old girl and, according to CPSC analysis, an estimated 2,900 emergency room-treated injuries between 2009 and 2013. The Commission concluded that the safety standard is necessary to address the unreasonable risk of injury or death associated with these magnet sets.
Courtesy of http://www.cpsc.gov/