Trauma centers have an obligation to participate in injury prevention efforts in an attempt to identify community patterns of injury and risk and formulate programs to reduce injury occurrence. Here at Boston Medical Center, the Trauma Service is dedicated to preventing injuries through research, education, and innovative programs. Our Injury Prevention Coordinator, Lisa Allee, MSW, LICSW conducts multidisciplinary work to care for and protect our patients. This month we wanted to highlight one of the many Injury Prevention Programs at Boston Medical Center – Child Passenger Safety.
The Department of Surgery, Division of Trauma has partnered with the Public Safety Office in developing a Child Passenger Safety Program at Boston Medical Center.
This program includes:
- CPS Inspection Station: Car Seat Inspection and fitting events during good weather months or by appointment through the Injury Prevention Coordinator.
- Car Seat Installations: For patients, families, staff and community members by appointment through the Injury Prevention Coordinator.
- Assistance with newborn car seat fit and installation upon discharge: To be arranged through Injury Prevention Coordinator or Public Safety: 617-414-4444.
- Educational in-services on car seat safety: For hospital groups.
- Education for Families: We have developed informational brochures which parents are provided on car seat safety and where to obtain a car seat at their 28 week appointment in the Women’s Center.
For more information, please contact the Injury Prevention Coordinator at: 617-414-8007.